Thursday, April 19, 2007

Strange London

Before I came to London, I had imagined it quite like shown in the Bollywood movies, with tall buildings, great sceneries n all. But, when I finally came here, things were quite different. Not tht the reality was shocking. London is a beautiful city. But, except for a few commercial places, rest of London (and in fact outside London too) is like a town. Houses are all the same wherever you go. So, tht is pretty confusing coz you can't distinguish one place from another. Also, I came across a number of things that i found as strange (coz these things don't happen in Nepal):

  1. Vehicles have number plates in 2 colors. Its white in the front of the vehicle and yellow behind. (I remember my fren n I discussing abt his uncle's car number plate color. He said tht it was white and I was sure tht it was yellow. As it turned out, we were both rite.)
  2. Here, people don't blow horns of their vehicles. Since coming here, I have only heard horn blowing once, n tht was quite new to my ears. Otherwise, no one blows horns, even when the vehicles' rite behind you.
  3. Pedestrians are kings here. While crossing roads, pedestrians get first priority.

As I come across more interesting things here, will keep on updating my blog. Till then, get to know London a little more thru this post.

Latest addition:

  • In Chitwan, i remember people telling me not to go outside at nite coz you have rhinocerous running wild re. In London, its normal to see fox near your neighbourhood re. Saw one near where i live too. (Thought my fren was making a fool of me when he said tht it was a fox. Didnt believe him at first. hehe)

12 comments:

prawesh said...

Seems like its heaven out there. no rush, fresh air, and all. I'll come there once in my life.

Ssmriti said...

yea you should come here once...try to make it soon hai. maybe while i am here so tht i can show you around...

Axim said...

Yeah prawesh u should go.. maybe will take u in my bike la.. anyways smriti it surely sounds nice ambiance hai.. lesser sound and air pollution.. just do consider abt vahicle owners when they are behind u too.,. natra ta horn nabajaye pachi ta jaam huncha ni ta.. does it happen anyways?

Ssmriti said...

yeah it happened once..euta car merai pachhadi thiyo..tara tyasle horn nai bajayena..hehe..tara maile gadi pachadi cha bhanera realize gari hale ani bato bata hate...now i m very careful to look behind me every now n then...

Wasted innovations said...

achchamako desh ... nyways, ma kaile baahira jaana paaune ho!! how r u btw?.. no mails!! kya ho bhaai haru lai birsinu bho ki kya ho??

Ssmriti said...

kahan birsanu anjan..yahan ta jhan sabai ko yaad le sataucha..hehe.. miss u all soooo much...

you-know-who said...

I felt the same way

Nirab Pudasaini said...

Strange , well they are different but is strange even a sutiable word.
It just a matter of months and then you'll get used to it .

Ani tes pachi nepal aunda chain nepal lia strange nabhannu hos hai ;)

Anonymous said...

"Pedestrians are kings here." .. only on zebra crossing... you should be careful, lots of drunks on the road !!

NKM said...

ya,
the world is not as you conceived.
The same happened to me here in USA!
(:

Chhakku Pakku said...

its nice to know the first hand experience of a new place - London.

Anonymous said...

म एडम्स KEVIN, Aiico बीमा plc को एक प्रतिनिधि, हामी भरोसा र एक ऋण बाहिर दिन मा व्यक्तिगत मतभेद आदर। हामी ऋण चासो दर को 2% प्रदान गर्नेछ। तपाईं यस व्यवसाय मा चासो हो भने अब आफ्नो ऋण कागजातहरू ठीक जारी हस्तांतरण ई-मेल (adams.credi@gmail.com) गरेर हामीलाई सम्पर्क। Plc.you पनि इमेल गरेर हामीलाई सम्पर्क गर्न सक्नुहुन्छ तपाईं aiico बीमा गर्न धेरै स्वागत छ भने व्यापार वा स्कूल स्थापित गर्न एक ऋण आवश्यकता हो (aiicco_insuranceplc@yahoo.com) हामी सन्तुलन स्थानान्तरण अनुरोध गर्न सक्छौं पहिलो हप्ता।

व्यक्तिगत व्यवसायका लागि ऋण चाहिन्छ? तपाईं आफ्नो इमेल संपर्क भने उपरोक्त तुरुन्तै आफ्नो ऋण स्थानान्तरण प्रक्रिया गर्न
ठीक।